Life in the DR Dominican Republic Women

Go Back   Life in the DR > Real Estate and investing in the DR

Old 08-03-2011

Default Prerequistes for buying property, etc.:

I was reading through the past posts, and I noticed that in regards to what appeared to be vehicle registration renewal that someone mentioned having to provide a cedula at the time of renewal. And it raised a question in my mind.

In purchasing, titling and registering property, and a vehicle, does one FIRST have to become a resident with a resident visa and cedula? I would hate to show up in the DR on a tourist visa and discover that I could not get done what I want to do. So, to turn the question around, can I come to the DR as a tourist and buy a piece of property and a vehicle, or do I need to have residency status first?

Thank you for any clarification that you all can provide on this.
Old 08-04-2011
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielTownsend View Post
I was reading through the past posts, and I noticed that in regards to what appeared to be vehicle registration renewal that someone mentioned having to provide a cedula at the time of renewal. And it raised a question in my mind.

In purchasing, titling and registering property, and a vehicle, does one FIRST have to become a resident with a resident visa and cedula? I would hate to show up in the DR on a tourist visa and discover that I could not get done what I want to do. So, to turn the question around, can I come to the DR as a tourist and buy a piece of property and a vehicle, or do I need to have residency status first?

Thank you for any clarification that you all can provide on this.
Not sure where you read this, You can buy as much property and as many cars as you want, You do not need a cedulla for that.
You do need a cedulla if you want to get a local drivers license, But you donít need a local drivers license to drive

http://www.latinaffairs.com
Old 08-05-2011

Diego,

Thank you for your response and the clarification.

What caused this question to come up in my mind was the following:

In 2008, under the Open Forum heading, page 8, bottom entry, "Renew your license plate now", Jerry, in his response to your initial notification posting, had indicated that he had been asked for a cedula when he got online to do his renewal.

And me, I'm just trying to make sure that I understand the processes and requirements for various transactions and have all of my ducks lined up for when the time comes.

Thank you again.
Old 08-05-2011
Gold Member

Default great questions daniel

I will be doing the same soon, but near the cit if not in it. Just not the "McGyver" like you. Thanks for posting things I would overlook.
Old 08-05-2011

Deezee,

First, let me add my congratulations to the others!

And thank you for your comment.

I'm just trying to do my best to make sure that when the day comes that I am able to do something about my situation that I will have all of the information that I need to be able to get done what I set out to do.

And if my questions, and the responses, result in providing help for others also--well, that's what this forum is all about. I have, more or less, read through all of the past posts and made notes of a number of things.

And I've still got a couple more questions, which I will be getting to in the near future.

In the meantime, be working on getting yourself back to the DR!
Old 08-07-2011
Gold Member

Default short visits for now

Long term countdown is in effect though. Hope to meet up with you down there some day soon.